12/21/2007

Traditions

Even though it's STINKING hot today, that does not change the fact that Christmas is approaching. (Twelve years. And I'm still not used to summer Christmases. I refuse to become used to summer Christmases.) Margaret is having a friend over tonight. The combination of these two things means that I am assaulted with my own inadequacies as a mom at Christmas -- where are the Christmas cookies, Laura? And don't say, "The supermarket."

With the bitter question ringing in my ears, I set out to prepare for cookie-making.

At which point I find that all my cookie cutters have disintegrated into brown grit.

Undaunted by the appalling implications, I have decided to use plastic soda cups as my cookie cutters. This (1) assuages the bitter questioners, as I am, in fact, making cookies, and (2) gives them an insolent flip-off, as I can guarantee you my grandmother never used soda cups as cookie cutters.

2 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

But, using soda cup as cookie cutters means the cookie will be BIGGER. Can that be a bad thing?

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Rod said...

You'd be amazed at the strange traditions kids will embrace. My Mother used to bake sugar cookies and allowed my sister and me to decorate them with frostings in those lovely food coloring primary colors. After a while we'd become bored with the green trees, red Santas, blue bells, etc. so we'd start mixing the colors to liven things up a bit. Before too long, the colors would degenerate into a horrid looking used motor oil color. My Mother always saved those particular cookies for us to eat. For years afterward, I expected everyone's holiday cookies to look like that and was vaguely disappointed to see normal looking cookies at friend's houses.

Compared to that big round cookies don't seem that strange, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home