9/24/2006

Manuscript assessment -- overall, a positive experience

Hmm. Out of a sort of masochistic curiosity (along with a profound anxiety that I'm deluding myself about my writing talent), I sent the first 12 chapters of my novel to a professional manuscript assessor. Luckily, she was quite encouraging, and enclosed several pages of very helpful comments that I need to digest for a few days before deciding how, and indeed whether, to incorporate each one.

I'm comforted. The assessor did not tell me, "This needs a complete rewrite," or "You should go back and study grammar and spelling." (One of the advantages of spending a couple of decades tightening up and cleaning up other people's writing is that it has made my own writing fairly close to technically flawless, if I do say it myself. Problem is, technique is only one aspect of good writing.)

So: once I finish the play and the poems I've committed myself to, perhaps I'll get back to the novel....

3 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Jessica Vivien said...

The polish of good editing certainly does help give a sense of professionality doesn't it. But from the look of it, Clarion will give you the experience of 6 tutors and 16 other writers critiquing your work for 6 solid weeks. And if they don't think you have the talent, they would no doubt make that clear. So you should be a lot more confident of your capacity as a writer after that.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

I'm told that some people don't write again for a solid year after Clarion, and some never write again at all. So we'll see what six weeks in the crucible does to me. Will I be refined, or consumed?

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Jessica Vivien said...

Interesting.
So what are you planning to do to make sure you go into the fire and come out again in better shape?
Perhaps the answer is to adopt a Clarion lifestyle as far as writing goes for the entire period before the workshop starts. Or for 2 days of the week during that time anyway. Or perhaps it is a matter of using the "Clarion members" yahoo group afterwards to continue the intensive critiquing process afterwards.
Have you heard of anyone who was unable to write the necessary 6 or so stories during Clarion, apart from those who got too sick etc?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home