9/18/2006

Self-imposed deadlines and questions of honor

I have committed myself to delivering Foul Play in Dapto performance-ready by the end of September. Because I have promised, I can't let it slip, because now people are counting on me. It may not be the calmest way to live my life, but it certainly does force me to get things done. (I have a hyper-developed need to be dependable.)

Meanwhile, I'm getting more keyed up by the day about going to Clarion. The info pack should arrive any time now. And I'm redoubling my efforts to save up the tuition, travel, and food money.

In other news, we have friends in from America -- friends I hadn't seen in person for about 15 years until the moment they tracked me down at Sydney Airport International Arrivals (they saw me before I saw them). They're coming back from Cairns at the moment, and will be spending some time in Sydney before returning to Thirroul. We've been having a really great visit, including a drive up to the spectacular Blue Mountains. These friends are from Arizona, Home of the Grand Canyon and Many Other Truly Impressive Natural Features, so I was afraid they'd scoff (inwardly at least; I know they're way too polite to scoff out loud). But the Blue Mountains have a character all their own, and are thrilling in their own way. And it's nice to have friends who are generous enough to appreciate that.

2 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Blogger Chard said...

I have wonderful memories of the Blue Mountains, none of which really involve seeing the mountains themselves, however. The day we went up it was pissing down rain, and socked in with fog. The "three sisters" were but a rumour (well, we could see part of ONE, but that's hardly the point, is it?). I have great photos of my spouse and child standing next to signs that say there is a scenic outlook, with nothing visible but WHITE.

It was a very fun day, really. We still look back and laugh.

BTW, I know what you mean about commitments made to others. I take deadlines much more seriously when others are relying on my making them. Hate to let other people down.

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I tell my students, the best inspiration in the world is a deadline!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home