9/04/2006

Progress? Or distraction?

I'm freelance-editing at the moment. I've got one nearly full-time gig (at the coal-mining company) and several clients who give me work more or less sporadically. Each of these clients needs the work done as if they were my only client. So from time to time I work fairly long weeks. This is one of those weeks.

This is the Midnight Question: is taking all these gigs a necessary step to gain the resources that will help me reach my goal of writing full time? Or is it a hindrance, a distraction from actually settling down and writing?

2 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's also the financial point to consider, which I know you worry about.

Kelly's point is well taken too. As I often tell my students, who are tempted to sit around waiting for the divine muse to arrest its progress in order to sit on their shoulder, "the best inspiration in the world is a deadline!"

I completed a lot of the music for the play in between other things. Sometimes the busyness of business helps keep things flowing down the creative pipes.

Bite off more than you can shew and then chew like hell!

h

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger ntycer said...

Laura, let me reimnd you of an early bonding mo---Look! A Bird!---ment.

After all, how high is up? How long a piece of string? You really won't know until you get there, will you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home