1/20/2008

You can disregard this post.

"Making stuff up is hard," whined Laura. "You have to make it unusual and consistent at the same time, and there's no way to know if it's unusual enough because if I thought of it obviously it's no surprise to me so it probably won't be to you, it's like trying to tickle yourself, and there's no way I'm going to use all the loose ends and red herrings and Chekov's guns I've planted in the text, so everyone is going to complain that I left them there, but if I tidy them up people will cry, 'Too pat! Too pat!' and if they're not there at all people will cry 'Too simplistic! Too simplistic!' and — and it's all so hard."

Normal programming will resume tomorrow.

7 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

I know....it's almost as hard as, like, math class....

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Helen V. said...

Hmmm! Obviously a bad case of the writing blahs. I suggest immediate treatment. Go somewhere or do something that gives you pleasure - preferably away from your workplace- what Julia Cameron in The Artist's Way calls artist dates. It doesn't have to be for long. Refresh your spirit. My favourites? Walking in the open air - the beach, a river, the bush - or going to a fabric shop - the kind that sells quilting fabric or lusciously luxurious silks and velvets and laces. Damn, I'm drooling at the thought.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

I seem to have taken your suggestion even before I read it: I'm spending the day in Sydney, partly for business (a playwriting crit group that I'm checking out) and partly for change-of-scene purposes. I'll let you know if it has helped! (I haven't gone into a decent fabric shop -- Spotlight DOESN'T count -- for YEARS. I already have a ton of quilting fabric piled up, and I haven't quilted, again, for years. Maybe I should get back to it....)

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the equivalent of a test pattern?
M

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

Or you could juest do a Hemmingway and get completley pissed

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

M -- "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep."

H -- It's been a long, long time since I was completely pissed, and since I've never had a hangover, one could argue that I've never been completely pissed. Nor do I admire bullfighters. Silly bastards.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

Yes, I find myself increasingly drawn to cheering for the bull

 

Post a Comment

<< Home