1/07/2008

One year on

It's the one-year anniversary of my arrival at Clarion South, which was without any doubt one of the pivotal experiences of my life. A sampling from my blog from that time:
"Okay, yeah, I volunteered to have my first story critiqued on the first day. But did it have to be the very first story of the whole process?"

"Here at Clarion South, I'm far, far away from my family. I mentioned to my daughter that encouragement helps, so at random intervals she's been sending me a text message on my phone: 'Go mommy go! Go mommy go!'"

"We're all shuffling around with one foot on either side of the line of consciousness. It makes for interesting conversations."

"Last night a bunch of us flung caution into the gutter and danced upon it -- we went out for karaoke."

"Last night (or rather, this morning), I was in the zone. By 4:30 I'd written over 2,500 words on a story that I'm really enjoying. I have a suspicion it's my best work yet (although I guess we'll see what happens in the crit pit on Tuesday). What an amazing (and rare) feeling, when the words come out with clarity, precision, and abundance!"

As you can see, it was a wild ride. This blog entry is my shout-out to all my Clarion buddies — students, tutors, and convenors (and other helpers). If any of you happen to be reading this, you should know that I keep you near, whenever I write. I lean on your goodwill and encouragement. I thank you for the support you've given me in many different ways. I hope I've been of some help to you as well. (Leave a comment, to let me know you've stopped by, if you would!)

2 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-) I feel the very same way. I miss everyone terribly! I still maintain this was at least 10% Stockholm Syndrome, but what a wild ride!

I agree, this was the pivotal point in my writing career. I reckon my quality/productivity has increased dramatically. Plus I met some bloody awesome folks.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Helen V. said...

Always dropping by, Laura, and I agree pivotal and awesome and unforgettable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home