1/02/2008

A bizarre little occupational hazard

It's unpleasantly jarring to spend several hours working on one book (revisions to The Associates), hours looking through one set of eyes, feeling one set of feelings — and then switch to working on another (Mud and Glass), another point-of-view character, another way entirely of being and thinking and feeling. It's like having someone grab my head and wrench it from one side to the other. Ow. I'm glad I'm not an actor, for whom this must be a many-times-daily experience.

However, the hours (and hours) spent over the past few days on The Associates bring me within coo-ee* of meeting my first Gauntlet II goal: finishing the revisions. And it's only a few days into the challenge!

*Note to non-Australians: "Coo-ee" is an "are you there?" "yes I am" call designed to carry long distances in the bush. It's uttered in a high falsetto, much like the American hog-call "soo-ee".

2 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

You're absolutely right - it is JUST like being an actor. That's why so many (of us) are totoally screwed up.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's right sir!! AhAhAhHAHAHAHA!
I personally can't tell who I am anymore! Am I the head of a detective agency, or the pilot of a faulty plane!? Who knows!
M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home