11/21/2007

Midway through Day Twenty-One: 40,014

Yes, I've broken 40K. Gracious, I wasn't sure at the beginning I'd even get this far. Well, that's not strictly true. Experience has made me fairly confident in my ability to meet deadlines. But this isn't a deadline for a client, it's just a sort of silly deadline. So I was curious whether I'd be able to trick myself into taking it as seriously as a deadline for a client, or whether I'd let it slip because it wasn't.

So far, I've been able to trick myself.

Or, to put it another way, I've been able to take my own deadlines as seriously as I take other people's. Which is a far more profound and important thing for me. In a way, it means I'm taking my writing seriously. Which also means I'm entitled to expect that others will, too. I'm not a hobbyist, I'm a professional. And I'm not bad. Publish me, damn it! (Although I'm not sure that exact phrasing would go over well with agents or editors.)

2 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Helen V. said...

I'm with Houston.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home