10/08/2007

It's not exactly Writin' Rations™, but I had to post it.

From my favorite barbecue site, Smoking Meat Forums (I doubt I'll be trying it, not least because Aussie bacon is a different thing entirely from the American bacon for which this recipe is designed):

Bacon Brittle

MAKES ABOUT 1 POUND
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2-3⁄4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 cup cooked bacon bits (about 12 ounces uncooked bacon)
Grease or butter a large nonstick baking sheet.
In a medium heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a boil. Attach a candy thermometer to the pan, increase the heat to high, and cook, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 290 degrees.

Remove from the heat.

Stir in the butter, vanilla, baking soda, salt pecans and bacon bits. The mixture will foam.
When it stops foaming, pour the hot mixture onto the prepared baking sheet as thinly as possible. Use a silicone spatula or a buttered spatula to spread.
Cool at least 10 minutes before breaking into pieces. Store in a covered container.

7 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Chard said...

Oh. My.

I'd offer to fly some over, but I know it'd never get past the Quarantine Beagles!

You'll just have to come get it yourself.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Yeah, it's a-scary, isn't it? I'm fairly certain that even when I'm next at home, I won't be making it. What astounds me is that it occurred to someone in the first place.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Helen V. said...

Then exactly what is American bacon like - as opposed to Australian/British? This could explain some interesting recipe failures in the days when I was a carnivore.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

American bacon is a different cut of meat: fattier, and streakier. The meat isn't in one big circle, but in longitudinal stripes along the slice. It's also far saltier and smokier. When you cook it until just before it burns, which is the way I like it, most of the fat cooks out and what's left is crumbly and delicious, not rubbery and gross. I miss American bacon, even though when I lived there all the time I hardly ever ate it. When I go home now, I eat it frequently. Good thing I don't spend more than a month or so there every couple of years, or I'd be ginormous. (On the other hand, it's probably just that I can't have it here that increases its allure.)

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the most frightening concoctions I've ever heard of - even more so than fried Mars bars!

h

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Chard said...

You want frightening? I offer you one of my all-time Internet classics: Spam Velveeta Tater Tot De-lites.

Um, no, I've never actually tried them. But I do like Tater Tots.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

If it weren't for the Velveeta, I might actually eat some of those if they were offered to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home