9/23/2007

Getting ready for Conflux.

I'm getting ready to head to Canberra on the weekend for Conflux, an annual conference (mainly) for writers and writing hopefuls interested in speculative fiction. Last year, I arrived on the figurative doorstep knowing no-one, recognizing very few names, and holding a very meagre portfolio of spec fic indeed. This year I'll be among friends, I'll be able to at least drop a name or two myself, and I'll have quite a few stories in the electronic trunk (many of which are out in the world seeking their fortune, and one of which actually won this year's Conflux short-story competition and will appear in the conference booklet, woo-hoo!). So I suppose I'm no longer a Wannabe, although I'm not sure yet that I've confidently assumed the title of an Is. Still, it's an interesting indicator of some genuine progress in my writing career, which is heartening.

Best of all, though, is that this year my daughter Margaret will be attending as well. Nearly 12, she's an alarmingly competent and entertaining writer; she keeps me on my toes. She's ready to show up at Conflux and listen and learn. She's cool.

If you're going to be at Conflux this year, post a comment here or email me and let me know how I can find you. (The Friday-night opening ceremony is probably the best place to start.)

2 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your daughter asked some of the best questions I encountered during the convention (in case you were wondering what she was up to when you weren't round).

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Thanks, Gillian! I agree: she's pretty sharp. I'm a proud mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home