10/30/2009

A few things that have inspired me lately

First, this project: a photographer named Julia Baum looks at a series of houses that had, when built in the 1950s as part of a sterile, utterly consistent housing development, been identical. See what 50 years or so of the human drive toward individuality and expression have done!

Second, the story of Erinn and Keeth Smart, two Olympic fencers (and sister and brother) who overcame quite a bit of adversity and obstacles both internal and external to eventually triumph (not that this is a spoiler or anything; Olympic records are readily available!). The documentary is split into two videos in the blog post; watch the top one first and (obviously) the bottom one second. Even if you're not into fencing (although why wouldn't you be?), it's riveting viewing.

Third, my kid is now 14, and I am now 48, and I find that pretty inspiring as well, if I do say it myself. And a lifetime of adventure shows no signs of letting up yet. Say no to mediocrity, say yes to individuality and expression and overcoming adversity and obstacles (both internal and external)!


Note: Ganesh represents the overcoming of obstacles.

2 Comments:

At 2:24 AM, Blogger fullsoulahead.com said...

I sent the Baum link to my friend the realtor in New Mexico. Very cool stuff!

 
At 2:36 AM, Anonymous Colleen said...

I'm inspired that you're inspired, Laura! : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home