10/05/2009

Back from Conflux

Had a great time at Conflux — many thanks to all who organized it, and particular thanks to Gillian, without whom (and whose floor and blankets) Margaret and I would not have been able to go.

To any beginning writers reading this, I cannot recommend highly enough that you find a writer-focused convention near you and go to it. Yes, the panels are often very useful, and it is very, very occasionally possible that you might meet an editor or agent who might be interested in looking at a synopsis of your latest opus (although it's considered bad form to hound them to that effect). The real reason, though, is so you can observe how Real Writers™ behave toward each other, toward editors, toward fans, and toward newer colleagues such as yourself. The best writers are almost always the kindest, most approachable people at the con (they have less to prove, particularly to themselves, you see). And there is nothing stopping you from acting like them even before you are the best writer in the room.

One of the most important lessons I learned from my journey to black belt was this: the only way to become a black belt is to behave as if you already are. By that I mean, would a black belt be satisfied with half-hearted technique just because they were bored and tired? No! Would they give an exasperated grunt when they saw a white belt coming to them with questions? No! But can it be that they become determined and self-disciplined leaders only at the instant Sensei ties the belt around them? No! The belt is a recognition that they already have those traits, not a license to go out and acquire them.

Similarly, I've seen that fame as a writer comes far more readily to those who show kindness, respect, cheerful cooperation, and a genuine concern for those who follow them in the writing queue. They do not badmouth someone else's novel just because that person got a three-book deal before they did. They recognize that if someone's writing brings joy to readers, that writing is important and valid. They are happy to answer questions, even questions they may have answered a thousand times. And they are genuinely grateful to the people who have taken the trouble to read their writing.

Even if I never get to be famous, I still want to be that kind of writer.

6 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,

Brilliant post. I especially liked the comparison with Top Class Writers and Black Belts taking time to share and encourage others.

And, yes, I've been guilty of badmouthing some 'award winning' writing :( From now on (thanks to your remarkable comment!) I will think, 'This writing is valid because someone else has enjoyed it. Even if I thought it was crap!'

Cheers,

Gb

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Thanks -- the whole black belt thing is something I think about a great deal, as it's quite a heavy responsibility (or at least it should be). Anyone who achieves mastery of any kind has an obligation to the people who follow. (That's why black belts bow to their junior students too, instead of just receiving the respect of others.)

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Thoraiya said...

I also felt myself cringing with shame, Gb, for condeming writing just because it wasn't for me.

Thanks, Laura, for the new maxim: It has brought joy to someone else. No matter how many rules of the English language are broken in the first paragraph.

As for trying to help people who are one step down the ladder, I wish it was as easy to correct someone's writing as it was to correct their horse stance. A karate student is never going to argue that HIS horse stance is the true genius horse stance, if only you could understand it. I have never been so rebuffed as I have been when trying to be honest in responding to people's writing.

I'll be leaving it to editors and critics, I think :)

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back again Laura, just added a link to this post on my blog over at:

http://gladbloke.wordpress.com/

Really enjoyed this topic!

Thanks,

Gb.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Thanks -- glad my thoughts provided a useful perspective!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Oh, and Thoraiya, I sure do wish my OWN writing was as straightforward to improve as my horse stance!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home