4/25/2009

Another "I should be writing so instead I'm doing a blog post" blog post

Okay, so, the less said about my current opus-in-progress the better.

Moving on:

First, a blog I just found (via boingboing): Lisa Gold: Research Maven. I love this blog. She's interested in all the things I'm interested in — research (of course), libraries, book stores, typefaces, newspaper style guides, good language, good ideas. What's more (and I'm glaring at you, Peter M. Ball), she argues very persuasively for the serial comma. Therefore she instantly becomes entirely credible in all things.

Next, Dr. Ronald Chevalier, my writing guru. He's the author of all ten of the Cyborg Harpie trilogies, you know. And he's very generous with advice for the attentive and appreciative writer. (By the way, you can follow him on Twitter.)

Another writing role model: Garth Merenghi and his tragically overlooked Darkplace television series. (Jason put me on to both of these role models. Clearly he has some sort of mystical connection directly into the pulsing, flashing heart of the Intertubez. Or a job that does not always capture 100 percent of his attention.)

And finally, an explanation of the sestina poetry form. It's wickedly complex, and I'm dying to try it out as soon as the April writing deadlines have come and gone. My friend Craig (who, incomprehensibly, does not seem to blog) put me onto the form, as he's been having some fun with it in his own writing. I studied a lot of English at one point, including a look at some poetry forms, but the sestina has eluded me until now. If I manage to crank out a good one, I'll post it over at my story blog, Dry As the Remainder Biscuit. (In case you missed it over on the Aussiecon blog, Dry As now contains the story that won their little flash-fiction competition a couple of weeks back.)

Sigh. Out of links to post. You know what that means.

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell you what - find me someone *who wasn't educated in America* that argues for the serieal comma, and I may start conceding there is some point to considering it :)

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Jason Fischer said...

"Clearly he has some sort of mystical connection directly into the pulsing, flashing heart of the Intertubez. Or a job that does not always capture 100 percent of his attention."

A little from column A, a lot from column B.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home