12/13/2008

Word Juju: Towards a Theoretical Framework

I have an editing gig at the moment. While it's nice to be earning a little money, and I always enjoy a good coal-mining document (doesn't everyone?), it takes up quite a bit of my time. Even more, it takes up a lot of my word juju. After spending six or seven hours making the words go right, in this case someone else's, I don't have a lot of energy left to come up with my own words and make them go right.

What I do have is a sense of unease and emptiness because I haven't been writing. I'm sure there's some aspect of the theory of word juju that accounts for these two different energies: the yin, the negative, the emptiness that needs to be filled with words, and the yang, the pressure that brings words forth. Deplete the yang, and the yin starts to howl with hunger. In a hideous irony, this is just when one is least able to feed it.

This is, of course, only the beginnings of a theoretical framework of word juju. I still need to incorporate the idea of story, the dynamic between writer and reader, the influence of the physical world (such as, say, the need of writers to eat and have a place to live, and how that affects the directions in which they apply their word juju), and on and on.

Do you reckon there's a Ph.D. in there for me?

2 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Satima Flavell said...

More likely misery if you don't spend a bit of time writing:-) Write first thing in the morning, edit later, I reckon. Money's good, but your own work needs priority or you'll be dead miserable!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

No, not mornings, no, NOOOOOOOOOO!

Mornings are for muttering darkly as one tries to consume enough Diet Coke to jumpstart one's brain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home