11/29/2008

Holy smokes!

I'd been going to leave my Thanksgiving-menu post at the top for another day or two, so y'all could admire my Iron-Chef-like prowess in the kitchen, but I must change those plans. My buddy Jason, whose writings you can find all over the place now (and a good thing, too), pointed me to a review of Canterbury 2100, the anthology in which my "The Miner's Tale" appears. The review, written by Tansy Rayner Roberts and posted on the Not If You Were the Last Short Story community blog, includes this:
"The Miner's Tale," by Laura E Goodin, is the story that stood out for me as the absolute best of the collection, and the one which I think would most effectively stand on its own, beyond the framing story. This was a powerful, gut-kicking story about amateur espionage, as a small group of desperate miners struggle to prove their discovery that the material they are mining for is not just something that could easily kill them, but create deadly weapons. The characters and their struggles really got to me, and I was completely gripped from beginning to end.
I'm stunned. Stunned.

Oh, I forgot: you can buy the book here. Non-Aus people, it's not up on Amazon yet, but if you buy it from this link, I guess you can send an email to ask how much postage is to where you are.

9 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

Wow. That's amazing!!!!!!! WELL DONE!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!




(word verif- madworma)

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Satima Flavell said...

Wonderful, Laura - and a very credible reviewer, too:-) Good old Jason has an eagle eye, eh?

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

I don't know how he does it, frankly.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Helen V. said...

That is a great review. Well done.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truth be told I have a number of goodies and group-lists plugged into my LJ and these things just appear. That, and endless googling on work time :-)

Damn it, now I've ruined my omniscient mystique. I am All Knowing, I....ah, bugger it.

Anyway, you should be reading Last Short Story religiously. These guys are evil geniuses when it comes to commentary on short fiction. They've yet to steer me wrong!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Jean Prouvaire said...

Congrats! Can't ask for much better than that. Take that review and bottle it. Then spray it on whenever you need a lift.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow Laura! Congratulations!! I am decidedly not stunned and can't wait to buy a copy!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Karl Henning said...

Stunned by good news! Bravissima!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Chard said...

I expected nothing less, but I'm still very proud. Can't wait to read the whole collection!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home