11/24/2008

Curious about Clarion?

My good Clarion buddy Jason informs us that next week, HarperCollins's spec-fic imprint, Voyager, will be posting on their blog some writings from various people associated with Clarion (specifically, Clarion South). These postings might give you a bit of an idea as to what people experience there.

It is, sadly, too late to apply for the January-February 2009 Clarion South. But there are other Clarions (in the States), and, frankly, it's not too early to start planning to apply to the 2011 Clarion South. You need to write your best stuff for the application, arrange the time off work, save the money and/or identify grants-making bodies who might help, get your family's emotional support, etc. etc. It's a genuine quest, and requires a bit of preparation to be successful.

If you're interested in my experiences at Clarion South, read my blog archive for January and February 2007.

I have to say, no matter what kind of writing you end up doing, you could do worse than give spec-fic a try and see if you can get into one of the Clarions. The things I learned there have also definitely improved my playwriting and my adventure-fic (non-fantastical) writing as well. And, years later, things are still seething and transmuting in my subconscious (in a good way, I think) as a result of those six unbelievable weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home