11/07/2008

NaNoWriMo: behind schedule but still having fun.

My NaNo opus this year is an adventure for me in lots of ways. It's YA (young adult, for those not familiar with the term), which I haven't attempted since I was a YA myself. It's a pirate story, which I've never tried before. It has its steampunk aspects, which I've never tried before. It's outlandish, which intimidates me, because despite the fact that I've been writing speculative fiction steadily for several years now, I have been careful not to be outlandish. I have set up rules for my alternative worlds and states of mind and I've stuck with them. This time, though, I'm chucking all sorts of stuff in the mix, things that ordinarily wouldn't go there at all (such as turtles —, oh, and mosquito ringtones) and seeing what happens. It's quite exhilarating.

Because we're on the road, I'm not getting as much written this week as I otherwise would. But next week I'm planning on hunkering. I'll get lots done next week! I will!

1 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Karl Henning said...

Intent to hunker: Duly noted!

Cheers,
~Karl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home