12/27/2008

International Sendout Month: Sitrep

Once Monday rolls around and the post office opens again, I will mail the sendout that fulfills my vow for International Sendout Month ("I, ____________, do solemnly swear or affirm that by December 31, 2008, every single bloody piece I've written that is ready to send out will, in fact, be out"). Assuming, that is, that I don't get another rejection in before the end of the year. Stats:
  • Four stories sent out (one was sent twice, as the first market rejected it depressingly quickly, so I don't know if you want to count it as four stories or five).
  • Four short plays sent out.
  • Five agents queried re: Mud and Glass.
  • And a partridge in a pear tree.
Results so far: three rejections (one story, two queries), one short-list-and-please-give-us-a-few-months-to-decide-for-sure (story), one request for a partial. And, of course, a partridge in a pear tree. I sure hope there are no more rejections in the next few days, because I really don't have a lot of emotional energy to go running around at the last minute finding new markets for stuff.

In fact, I don't have a lot of emotional energy at all today. I attended the funeral of someone I wasn't close to personally, but for whom I had a lot of respect; moreover, tons of other people I also respect (and am closer to) were very, very cut up. So I'm feeling scraped and listless and discouraged. Come to think of it, it's been a pretty rough day today for a lot of reasons. So maybe I'll go disappear into a riveting, escapist book and push the world away for a while.

2 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, Blogger Satima Flavell said...

Escapism sounds like a good idea, Laura. I think we are even more vulnerable at times like Christmas. A funeral at this time would be a real downer.

I hope you get at least one acceptance out of this marathon effort!

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Karl Henning said...

Anything that isn't no is a piece of victory.

Cheers,
~Karl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home