3/28/2008

Seeking warmth!

Autumn stalks me. Tonight is decidedly chilly. Extremely chilly. Chillingly chilly. And our house has no thermal inertia whatsoever: whatever temperature it is outside, it is inside (I exaggerate a little, but only a little; worse yet, we rent, so there's nothing we can do about it). I hate being cold; even the possibility of it makes me so anxious I literally can't sleep.

I used to use a rubber hot-water bottle, but too many of them split catastrophically without warning (no visible signs of cracking, for example). One time I was badly scalded. So I swore off rubber hot-water bottles.

I currently use a wheat pack. But they stay warm for, max, about 20 minutes to a half hour. And even the lavender ones smell funny. Grainy. Oaty. I love horses but not enough to want to have that barn atmosphere in my own home.

I don't want to use a heating pad or electric blanket, partly because I don't want yet another electric cord draped around our bedroom to reach the appallingly inconveniently located outlet, partly because I don't want to use something so environmentally dubious as yet another electric appliance, and partly because having something draped around one as one sleeps that's connected to 240 volts is a little disconcerting when you think about it.

What I dream of is a hot-water bottle that is made of something a bit less perishable than rubber. Not a wheat pack. Nothing that needs electricity.

Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in the UK you can buy hot-water-bottles made out of a material called "Thermoplastic" which the manufacturers say doesn't perish like rubber. Even so, they can't be expected to last forever and must eventually leak by some other means.
Personally, I prefer rubber ones as they are softer and more cuddly.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

I think Amazon sells that kind -- I'll check it out! Thanks for the suggestion.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Helen V. said...

You need one of those old - very old- fashioned stonewear hot water bottles. I wonder if any of them still exist. They used to warm the bed then shove them down to the foot well wrapped I believe.
PS I am highly suspicious of electric blankets too and for the same reasons.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

I'm not a particularly tranquil sleeper -- my luck, I'd break my toe on a stoneware hot-water bottle as I tossed and turned!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home