3/21/2008

Good Friday

Now that I live in a country where Good Friday is a legal holiday, I find it's a bit easier to observe the day with solemnity. I used to have to go to work, hungry and cranky, and try to keep in mind just what the day actually means for Christians. The good news about the entire continent of Australia slowing down and closing up for the day is that one is compelled to have a quiet, homebound, meditative day. The bad news is that this hasn't really stopped the secularization of the Easter weekend, when candy figures prominently, as it does in the States. (Margaret has agreed that it is inappropriate to have candy on Good Friday, and is happy to make that observance. On Easter, though, we will all indulge, I reckon.) Sadly, another facet of Easter here is that a lot of people take vacations and the road toll goes way up.

We, though, are staying home today. The weather is encouraging this: chilly and rainy. I'm hungry at the moment, of course, but I'm making a loaf of bread: meatless, simple, made by my own hands (with some help from the bread machine, which is kneading the dough while I type; I hope this does not negate the virtue).

In other news, I'm getting ready for Script Frenzy. Like NaNoWriMo, and run by the same mob, it's a light-hearted writing contest — in this case, 100 pages in 30 days (April 1 to 30). I'm doing my best to finish other writing projects and catch up with all the housework before April starts....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home