3/14/2008

Taking things apart to see how they work

My family and I went tonight to see a production of David Williamson's persistently popular play The Club (here is a study guide, if you're so inclined). I enjoyed the performance, but what really floated my boat was spending the whole two hours analyzing the structure, pacing, energy levels, character-interaction mechanics, blocking, wordplay, and other bits and pieces, tricks and trades. I sort of can't help it. I've always been happiest behind the scenes, seeing how things worked, making them work. (I have a friend who, whenever she hears me commenting on the television program we happen to be watching together, says in a bemused way, "You can't ever just relax and watch something, can you?" Alas, no.)

Incidentally, while I was googling around looking for a study guide on The Club, I found a site selling essays on works of Australian literature (and, presumably, other subjects as well) to anxious and amoral students. The domain name? Ready? www.cheathouse.com. I kid you not. And no, I'm not going to give it the added boost of linking to it directly. Houston was appalled at the absolute hide of naming a cheating site something so, well, forthright. Me, I find it refreshing in its own sordid kind of way. I also find it funny that their web site is full of typos and grammatical errors. Mm, you'll always come across as erudite and punctilious by downloading our papers to hand in as your own inspire and guide you when you're doing your own, completely original work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home