12/03/2007

The concert is over, and so is an era.

Houston more or less finished his tenure as musical director of the Illawarra Choral Society tonight with the performance of Handel's "Messiah" (mentioned in a previous blog post). As usual, he did a great job conducting (he's really good). I bashed the hell out of a couple of tympani, which is always a fun thing to do, and Margaret sang in the soprano section.

Margaret said one of the security staff at the venue, a tough-looking little guy all covered in tattoos, told her it was the most beautiful thing he'd ever heard. So -- you just never know. I said to Margaret, "And you were part of that for him. You helped bring him the most beautiful thing he'd ever heard." I think it's important that Margaret is conscious of that kind of power, and that she has it -- the power to bring beauty to people.

Houston's mentor and friend Dr. Don Erb once told him (and he'll be able to give you the exact quote, but here's the gist of it), "If you write one beautiful piece of music, you've been more important to humanity than all the Hitlers and Stalins combined."

Then Margaret went to bed, and Houston and I drank some of our beer and watched "Operatunity Oz Revisited," a where-are-they-now followup to, as you could have predicted, the reality show "Operatunity Oz". We're kind of arts-geeky at our house. It's quite a nice way to live. No Jag in the driveway, but we get chances to bring beauty to people. Better than a Jag any day.

6 Comments:

At 5:09 AM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

Thanks for the compliments! I guess I'm awake at this time of the morning because I can still hear the timpani!

No, there's no Jaguar in the driveway, and very little chance that anyone who read our respective blogs has one in ther's either! I'm glad to know that this wasn't an issue when you married me :-)

And it was pretty cool to see our daughter up on that stage singing so very professionally, and my wife using her last ounce of strength to beat the living daylights out of a febrile set of timpani!

h

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

"Febrile"????

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

er.... It was 5 in the morning when I wrote that comment. I was confusng the timpani with you. YOU were the febrile one.

The timps were merely elderly.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

I guess that is preferable to your considering the tymps to be feverish and me to be elderly....

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Chard said...

As much as I loved playing just about all the percussion instruments, my two favorites have to be the tympani and the triangle. Big and small, I guess. But I totally get what you mean about that.

Oh, and crashing the cymbals. One of my greatest musical moments came in an outdoor band concert in Golden Gate Park's band shell (the Spreckels Temple of Music -- really!). Big cymbal crash during a mega chord in "Eternal Father, Strong to Save." Awesome!

And honorable mention to playing the cowbell in marching band. That had its own rewards.

Anyway, wish I could have heard your Messiah. Very cool that it was a family affair!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

Chard reminds me of my most embarrassing musical moment. I was playing cymbals in a performance of Sibelius' 4th Symphony, as you do. The conductor was no good at giving cues after you had a long rest, so I had to count. And count. And count.

I lost count.

I didn't KNOW I'd lost count of course.

I came in at what I thought was the right time, during some long, sustained string playing. As I sat down after crashing the cymbals with al my might, I thought, " That's a strange place for a cymbal crash!" When I heard the appropriate orchestral moment where I SHOULD have crashed my cymbals, I realised the Sibeluis would have thought that the place I played in would have been an odd one too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home