10/29/2007

My WAY COOL KID

Okay. On Saturday during the day, Margaret passed her belt test (as I mentioned previously). In the evening, she had a key role in the school revue (as I also mentioned). Today, she received a "highly commended" medal for her science-fair project, which explored the relative effectiveness of crushed eggshells, coffee grounds, and tea leaves as fertilizers. Tonight, she has her usual rehearsal with the Illawarra Choral Society for their performance of "Messiah" in a month and a bit (she sings soprano at the moment, although she may eventually end up as an alto like her mom, only she already has a much better voice than I ever did or will).

I'm the mom. I'm allowed to brag.

5 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Helen V. said...

You certainly are allowed to brag. Well done you (and Houston) for producing such a great kid.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Thank you! We're glad you like her!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Rod said...

Imagine you producing a well rounded kid... who would have thought? ;-)

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

I'm not sure we're doing her a favor, really -- her list of activities is long and growing, and maybe we're pressuring her. On the other hand, these things are all her idea, and in fact we have started to encourage her to consider whether she's overloading herself when she considers taking something else on. But then, why should she be any different from Houston or me, who both have the coping mechanism of "when you're feeling overwhelmed and at the end of your rope, take something else on!"

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Chard said...

Ah, yes. My mother always told me I'd regret burning the candle at both ends. Too bad for her, I'd actually read the poem, and thought a "lovely light" was a good thing.

Good on ya, Margaret! The good news is, if you keep doing what you want to do, you'll keep making your parents proud. It's their job to worry about you, but you'll survive that much better than they will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home