6/21/2007

I really don't like to write sad stuff.

I'm at a really sad, stressful plot point in the story I'm writing at the moment. When I was writing the beginning of the story, before things got rough for the characters, I was pouring out the words, 1,300 or 1,400 in a day. Now that the characters are in a bad place, I'm lucky to produce 500. Partly it's that I don't like experiencing bad things, so I don't enjoy imagining them. And partly it's that I'm convinced that anything stressful or emotional I write about comes out sounding mawkish, cartoonish, or just plain trite. I trust myself to write funny things, pretty things, happy things, even mildly weird things. But I don't trust myself to write scary, yucky, upsetting things. It has to be done, or else there's no story. But I don't like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home