6/13/2007

A surprising oversight remedied

Believe it or not, I went through the US public-school system from kindergarten through senior year and was not once either requested or required to read To Kill a Mockingbird. Nor, for some reason, did I ever read it in subsequent years. Imagine!

So, at age 45, I resolved to remedy this oversight. I found a copy cheap at the remarkable Strand Bookstore, and started reading. It really is an astonishing book: straightforward, yet unbelievably layered, poignant, and resonant. In a way I'm glad I didn't read it when I was 15: large amounts of its subtlety would have been wasted on me. (Most likely some still is, but at least I feel I'm in a slightly better position to understand it than I would have been 30 years ago.)

3 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Rod said...

I didn't have to read it in school either but they did show us the movie and I liked it a lot. It's one of two movies I recall seeing at school I thought were worthwhile. The other was "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" from the story by Ambrose Bierce.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

By some fluke, I figured out the twist ending of "Occurrence" before I got to it, which I don't think Bierce wanted to happen. Oh, well. Plenty of other times, people have said, "Oh, who didn't see that coming?" and I haven't, so I guess that evens things out.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Chard said...

I never had to read Mockingbird, nor was I shown the movie. I guess I'd better remedy that one day soon.

But I do remember seeing "Occurrence," too, so that must have been some kind of standard issue to public schools.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home