6/16/2007

Cold-weather camping

I love to camp. I hate the cold. These two fundamental emotions will be at war this weekend as I camp in the cold. I have packed so many clothing layers and sleeping-bag liners that it's actually rather embarrassing. I've decided to revel in my I-hate-and-fear-cold wimpiness by topping my sleeping ensemble off with a truly over-the-top fur-lined, Russian-style hat. It's a fabulous hat. Keeps me wonderfully warm. I shall put it to the test tonight, on the western slopes of the Blue Mountains.

UPDATE
Because of persistent heavy rains in Wollongong, those of us who were going to go camping ended up staying in town instead and going on storm-damage callouts. It was my first time out on the truck in about two-and-a-half years. I was rusty, it's true, but I was still useful. And it renews my credibility in the Unit. Not to mention that we helped five families. All in all, a good day, if a tad tiring.

1 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least you have more material for heoic stories now :-)

h

 

Post a Comment

<< Home