3/01/2007

Post-Clarion Stress

I'm feeling pulled in a thousand directions, because for six weeks I had one direction -- one. I'm horribly frustrated and feeling incompetent because I'm only writing one or two hundred words a day, on a good day, whereas for six weeks I wrote thousands of words each week. I'm resentful that I have to actually choose which clothes to wear to an office, while for six weeks I only had a few items of clothing with me and they were my favorites and my most comfortable. (Good thing this is a really, really informal office, at least, and I don't have to do the suits-and-painful-shoes thing.) I miss my Clarion buddies.

The stress is leaking out in lots of little ways. I'm trying hard not to be surly and irritable with my family. I feel weepy at any kind word from anyone, particularly if it comes from a writing colleague. I'm far more sluggish than I was at Clarion, on far more sleep than I got there. My focus is shot at the moment; it's even harder for me than it usually is to keep my mind on whatever it is I'm working on.

I sure hope this is only temporary.

4 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Helen V. said...

Oh Laura, I'm so glad to read everyone's blogs and ljs and find that so far everyone feels as deflated as I do. I have been working on revising and sorting out markets etc but I just can't get settled to anything - and I haven't even the excuse of having to go out to work. It will get better. It will.
Helen

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Yeah, sucks, eh? But I'm sure that somewhere deep in my brain, things are sorting themselves out....

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so hear you. I'm feeling exactly the same way. In fact I'm so sluggish I just woke from a 2 hour afternoon sleep and only because Lee made me.

I am feeling unsettled and passionless and narky. I'm glad to be home, but I just have that feeling of 'what next?'

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I'm a composer, not a writer, I know how you all feel here. I had the same feelings after spending two weeks on the Orkney island of Hoy with more than a dozen total strangers whose only objective was to write as much music as possible for the resident string quartet.

It was a strange period that followed. I can only suggest that what I felt was a kind of grief - perhaps not as intense as a death of a relative/close friend/pet dog, but the same feelings of loss and stress were there.

The way I deal with grief, and it's usually in silence while writing lots of music, was the way I got over Hoy.

Just a thought.

h

 

Post a Comment

<< Home