2/10/2007

Karaoke as metaphor

Last night a bunch of us flung caution into the gutter and danced upon it -- we went out for karaoke.

A few things must be said to show how revolutionary this was: I can count on the fingers of my two hands how many times in my entire life I've been out to raucous late-night clubs -- in fact, this was the very first time in all my 45 years I'd been out so late at a club. Ever. And while I have very little shame when it comes to getting up in front of groups, I don't consider my voice a lead-singer's voice (although I'm the one you want as a backup singer, every time). And finally, while the world assumes writers are reclusive, antisocial, and meek, this is not always the case.

Without a doubt, the stars of the evening were Jasoni, who sings blues like a demon from some totally cool hell, and Ben, who may tell you singing is not his thing, but has stage presence enough for all of us.

It is very fun to cheer friends on, and to be cheered. We have all become quite close here, and it really helps with the stress to know that we're all eager for each other's success.

Friends are cool. Writer friends are doubly cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home