1/29/2007

My first all-nighter at Clarion

And, annoyingly, it's not even for the purposes of writing. No, it's to get the first edit of that document back to the client ahead of deadline. It was worth it to me to lose the sleep, because I've bought myself a couple of days' break while they go over the edits, and I'm planning on using it well to make progress on my Week 5 story. (My Week 4 story gets critted in a few hours -- will I be able to stand the strain, having had no sleep whatsoever?) Unfortunately, I'll have to lose a few of those hours this afternoon taking a nap. If I ever return to the "awake in the daytime, asleep at night" pattern, it will be the proverbial miracle.

We're all shuffling around with one foot on either side of the line of consciousness. It makes for interesting conversations.

The Clarion convenors tell us that part of the object of the game is to help us prepare for life as professional writers. I reckon I've got that one down: take on almost overwhelming commitments of writing, reading, and critiquing, and then take on more overwhelming commitments to earn enough money to scrabble between now and the next paying gig. In the rare moments of breathing room, research markets, polish stories, and send them out, with virtually no hope of earning anything even like an income from them. Yup, this week's been a professional writer's week, all right.

ADDENDUM: I did eventually get about one hour's sleep (7 to 8 a.m.).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home