2/02/2007

I have no shame at all.

Tonight a few of us got the chance to do a brief (three-minute) reading at Avid Reader bookstore here in Brisbane, as the warm-up act for Gardner Dozois (yes, that Gardner Dozois). If it involves getting up in front of an audience, I am SO THERE. Because we had a few days' warning, I wrote a short (two-page) piece for the occasion.

If I do say it myself, public speaking is one of my strengths. I read smoothly and dramatically, and I got laughs in all the right places, and none in any of the wrong places. Oh, how I love the spotlight. Pity I have no acting talent. But I can read my own stuff, and so I did.

One of my most cherished Writer Dreams is the book tour: readings, signings, panels, and -- most of all -- the school visits and workshops with young writers. A few writers came to my high school during my years there, and it was always magic. I want to bring that magic. I want to say something that will inspire a dreamy, lonely kid to keep writing, keep improving, keep chasing that amazing moment when you are ablaze with your own power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home