5/24/2009

Chilli hot chocolate — interim recipe

Regular readers may remember that a few months ago I had a bash at recreating the chilli hot chocolate I so loved when I had it during my travels. That first attempt was, while interesting (even exciting), not entirely successful. This time I actually measured stuff, and I've come a lot closer to something I'd be willing to have again and offer to adventurous friends. It's still not exactly the way I want it, but you're welcome to experiment along with me.

Chilli Hot Chocolate
  • Two cups (measuring cups, not drinking cups) of milk
  • Two tablespoons powdered unsweetened cocoa
  • A quarter cup of sugar (I'm thinking this may be too much, and will probably cut it down to two tablespoons next time)
  • A quarter teaspoon cinnamon
  • A quarter teaspoon vanilla extract
  • An eighth teaspoon each of salt, cayenne, and cardamom (the cardamon is a bit much; I'll either cut it down to a dash or eliminate it next time)
  • A dash each of nutmeg (freshly ground if possible) and black pepper (there is NO excuse for not grinding this fresh)

Heat very, very slowly and gently, stirring often. Makes two smallish mugs or one large mug with a bit left over for seconds.

Question to ponder: do I want to include a dash of cloves next time? (A bit of Internet research has yielded many, many recipes for chilli hot chocolate, none of which is as complex as mine. The only flavorings they have, apart from the cocoa and sugar, are the chilli, cinnamon, and sometimes vanilla. Hmph. Amateurs.)

I've got some sort of virus or other (I'm assuming it's not swine flu), and I'm hoping this concoction will prove to be medicinal as well as tasty. And tasty it certainly is! I can't wait to fine-tune it the next time.

3 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger ntycer said...

Hmmm...sounds great. I wonder about the benefit of the vanilla. I would consider white pepper rather than black, and consider a dash of ginger rather than so much cinnamon. Then again, who am I top judge as I sit here pondering the fate of my clothes on the line while the RAIN comes down...white wine in my glass?

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Black pepper was definitely the flavor I wanted for this -- subtlety is NOT the goal! The vanilla contributed to a very rich, decadent taste, and I like that in a beverage. The ginger is a good idea -- I don't have any of the dried, powdered stuff, but I suppose there's nothing stopping me from throwing a slice of fresh into the pot to steep. Easy enough to fish out before serving.

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous margaret said...

Hope it helps you! It hurts me quite badly when I try to drink it, so best of luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home