2/03/2009

My very, very favorite Shakespeare play

In my "25 Things" post, I mentioned that The Taming of the Shrew is my favorite Shakespeare play. A couple of commenters mentioned the BBC production starring John Cleese, and it just so happened I had purchased a copy when last in England, dahling. I'm watching it now. It's fabulous. It's worth tracking down. I couldn't find it on amazon.com (although admittedly I was not particularly diligent, giving up after scanning only the top few search results). Oh, wait — you can get it from the Royal Shakespeare Company's online shop.

Cleese is really far more subtle as Petruchio than you'd think if you'd only seen Python, and the woman playing Katherine was actually unnerving in the depths to which she plumbed the character. The pace is a tad slow, but so what? Who's in a rush? This is The Taming of the Shrew. Relax and enjoy it. And have a wink with Kate and Petruchio at the end. I always do.

6 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Rod said...

Curses. Now I won't be able to rest until I've seen this. Thanks for the pointer.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Chard said...

Likewise. I love that play.

Not sure that it's my favorite...Midsummer Night's Dream might be, since we performed it in 8th grade (I was Pyramus). But "Shrew" might have been the first I saw performed live in a real theater.

And with Cleese!!!

P.S. My fine word verification is "arklitiz," which I believe would be the means of illumination for this movie, no?

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Chard said...

Oh, bloody hell. The RSC DVD is only region 2 and 4.

I shall just have to invade Australia and watch yours!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

You're welcome anytime!!!!

-- Laura

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Satima Flavell said...

I'd love to see this! Is Oz in one of those zones? I didn't know there was more than one kind of DVD!

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger fullsoulahead.com said...

"So what? Who's in a rush?"

I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home