9/11/2008

I am not a number!



Today's geekfest was a visit to Portmeirion, icon of individuality in all its forms. Houston points out in his blog that the show The Prisoner was all about individuality, and that the architect of Portmeirion would probably have applauded that. (Since he was alive at the time The Prisoner was filmed in his beloved village, I think we can assume his support for its ideas.)

I will confess to being a Prisoner tragic. I love the series, I watched it whenever it was broadcast on PBS in my youth, and I can't imagine why I haven't saved up the money to buy the set. (Maybe if I get a few good editing gigs this year, I can remedy that.) It was a serious kick to walk around the Village and match what I was seeing with images remembered (and half-remembered) from the show. The estuary was in perfect "Where's Rover" mode, and when the breeze picked up, I was halfway expecting to see the Evil Fitball emerge from the incoming tidewater and chase me across the sand.

Here are some photos:









After Portmeirion we stopped in a pub for lunch. And we saw — Jasoni, I know you're going to want to snurch this for your blog — this:



On tap, yet! (The words "Chilled, Creamy" appear, rather disturbingly, above "BRAINS".) The Zombie Apocalypse is even now among us! Trust no-one!

Finally, we returned through stunning Welsh scenery to our B&B in Betws-y-Coed. It's a beautiful little village of stone buildings on either side of an alarmingly narrow road that runs parallel to the River Conwy. A few hundred yards from the B&B is this (I'm a sucker for waterfalls):



Tomorrow we drive south to take the ferry to Ireland. (I'm a sucker for ferries, too.) No geek stops for the next few days, as we'll be spending most of the time with family, whom we haven't seen since Margaret was very little. I expect she'll get quite tired of hearing how she's grown....

3 Comments:

At 4:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, no! i hadn't thought of that!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Perhaps a t-shirt with the words, "Yes. I've grown."

or how 'bout one that says...

The Amazing Growing Margaret

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

The t-shirt idea is a fine one! We'll have to see what we can do along those lines....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home