8/29/2008

Life is full of interesting discoveries.

Okay, make a batch of cornbread (lots of recipes here), and if you're feeling really extravagant, chuck a bunch of blueberries in. Fresh or frozen, either will do. (I recommend feeling extravagant, because the blueberries are sort of the point of this post.) Make a double batch of cornbread, in fact, because you'll want to eat a bunch of it with vegetable soup or chili, and you'll still need some left over for what is to come.

Go and buy a roasting chicken, one that isn't roasted yet, I mean. Chop up an onion very finely and fry in about 150 grams of butter until it's soft. Add a teaspoon of powdered/rubbed sage and about a half teaspoon of salt. Then crumble up the other half of the cornbread (the half you didn't eat before) into the butter-and-onions until everything's mixed up. Stuff the chicken with as much of the stuffing as it will hold; reheat any left in the pan so that there is no chance at all of raw-chicken germs having survived from getting in there as you scooped stuffing into the chicken. Set the extra stuffing aside until you've roasted the chicken. (I won't go into how you know if it's done; that sort of thing is all OVER the Net. Me, I use a meat thermometer.) Tonight I roasted my chicken on top of a layer of cut-up sweet-potato chunks and red pepper/capsicum sprinkled with a little salt and pepper. I did not season the chicken at all except for the stuffing.

When the chicken is done, scoop the stuffing back out and mix it with the extra stuffing. Eat lots of chicken, veggies, and wonderful cornbread stuffing.

Oh, I've had cornbread stuffing before; I've even made cornbread stuffing before. The discovery is in how wonderful the blueberries, onion, and a little bit of sage make the stuffing taste. It is one of the great tragedies of my life that blueberries are really extraordinarily expensive, particularly in winter, particularly in Australia. But once in a while, I must have them....

1 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was sooooo good. We didn't have any cranberry sauce, so you might want to add that to your recipe. Just a suggestion. I'm just the kid who hangs around their house and eats their stuff. : )
M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home