2/21/2008

Writing Demons, begone! And, trying Facebook.

I've spent a fair bit of the past couple of days doing the best thing I know of to banish the Writing Demons (the exterminators had a four-month waiting list, so I decided to take matters into my own hands): sendouts. Stories, a flash piece, a short play, to various markets. At the moment I have a dozen pieces out (including my first book, The Associates). The more pieces I send out, the more sullen the Writing Demons become. They only actually fall silent (temporarily, alas!) when I get something accepted. But I'm more than content when they just keep their voices down.

In other news, I've signed up for Facebook. Personally, I'm pretty sure social-networking sites are a false god — how, precisely, do they add value over Google, email, and email groups? — but I'm giving Facebook a shot so that I can at least know what I'm talking about when I excoriate it (or not, depending on whether it does provide added value). So far I've friended (new-verb alert! new-verb alert!) a few people, although I'm not trawling all over the place to find more. I'm happy to have found an old high-school friend (and there weren't that many; I tended to have few, but deep, friendships), and a few colleagues whom it is now easier to reach and keep up with. And I found out about (and consequently entered) a short-play competition that I may not have heard about otherwise. So far, so good. Life-changing? Hardly. A mild convenience at best. So far. If you think Facebook and its ilk are the best thing since chopstick rests shaped like little sumo wrestlers, you're welcome to state your case in the comments!

3 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O_o
friended?
M

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger dragonfly said...

Well, I'm afraid I can't say that "Facebook and its ilk are the best thing since chopstick rests shaped like little sumo wrestlers."

As a university student, I'm almost expected to have a Facebook profile. And I do. But unlike the vast majority of my peers I don't like it. I find it supremely annoying. The only advantage is that you can send messages to people such as "What's the homework for Anthro?" when the only contact you've had with the recipient is in class, and you haven't exchanged e-mail or phone info. (Otherwise known as being lazy and not taking notes.)

Hardly a glowing review. Apologies since I know this is not what you solicited.

-Jenn
(Chard's niece)

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Go ahead and friend me if you want -- it would be a handy way to say hi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home