11/03/2007

Day Three: 7,018

On schedule!

I'm finding the total-immersion aspects of going for raw word count actually quite exhilarating. You'd think I would have been this focused all along, all these months since I've been writing full-time. But no.

It's a tad scary to reset the standard for myself about what "full-time writing" means. After NaNoWriMo, I won't be able to get away with as many excuses. When I was at Clarion, I could say, "Yeah, well, this is a rarified environment, a hothouse. Of course I can focus and produce here." But now I'm in the process of proving to myself that I can produce in my day-to-day environment. Which removes several large areas of self-indulgence and laziness, several obstacles to buckling down and getting works written and out there.

Of course, quality is something of a concern; I'm not enthused about the writing itself. But that's not the idea. (It will be interesting, later on, to see whether there is anything of merit in my NaNoWriMo work. But I am not letting that distract me at the moment. Not for the next month, at any rate.)

1 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Rod said...

Wow. Color me impressed. I'm pretty sure I'd be struggling already or making excuses about why I was behind.

I've heard that this type of writing can produce some interesting work. I'd guess that you tend not to edit as much when you have a daily word count goal. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it once you go back to re-read it at the end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home