2/09/2010

Another day in the writing desert.

It is important to remember that feelings are not reality. Feelings are useful indicators of overall things-are-okayness or things-are-suckyness. Prompts to look a little deeper. But — just as an example — feeling like my writing sucks and all my friends are more successful than I am and always will be because I suck suck suck suck does not mean that that's actually true. It just means that (a) I'm worried about being humiliated if my writing sucks, or (b) the words are coming more slowly at the moment, which has nothing to do with suckitude either way even though I'm always afraid that it does, or (c) I haven't been eating enough vegetables or getting enough sleep lately.

Question of the day: what do the persistent feelings of suckitude actually point to? What am I, at the bottom of all of this, really worried about, or afraid of?

The writing demons love it when I get like this, by the way. They absolutely love it.

6 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Blogger Briefcase said...

Does it happen regularly, say, every month? Then there's a natural explanation. Otherwise, relax. It helps.

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Margaret said...

Be strong, Ma. There's always tomorrow. Maybe your bad experiences will inspire a brand new idea about demons?
And, my word verification was "hilearsk". Make of that what you will.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

It's always important, of course, not to confuse the writing demons with the dust bunnies I saw last night under the sofa.

But there's really nothing to do except write through them, of course. All those other remedies are just ways of selling, ginger tea, putting up your hot water bil etc. (One should drink ginger tea and have hot baths because you like drinking or having them, and you should, of course, NEVER get them confused!)

Wrestling with the demons, IMHO, is a good sign that you care about what goes on the page.

But you knew all this anyway.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger fullsoulahead.com said...

IMHO, feelings of unworthiness always reflect our underlying fear of feeling separate from Source. Every problem is a spiritual problem at its root.

You are not separate. You are a brilliant thought in the mind of All That Is.

Tell your shoudler sitter to put that in her rancid little pipe and smoke it.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger ntycer said...

Methinks it is time for you to get out and play a song for your people...wearing that same outfit. Now THAT would cause some words to flow.

Seelest...another verification word to add to your Motley Lexicon.

 
At 2:08 AM, Anonymous Colleen said...

I've been in the Writing Desert so long I've got a permanent campsite. However, I've put a lot more energy into painting and selling my artwork, which is proving fruitful.
I hope you've not abandoned other WIP's such as your NaNonovels, or at least can happily distract yourself until the Demons get bored and leave you alone.
(A word ver. I saw on another blog was 'grody', which describes my unwashed dishes. Ha ha!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home