8/19/2009

Buckling swashes

I disclose here a lifelong fascination with fencing (particularly sabre, which I know some consider uncouth — and their point is?). And I particularly love not just sport fencing, but stage combat. A well-choreographed fight is a thing of heart-wrenching beauty (and yes, Peter M. Ball, I truly do understand why you watch professional wrestling). Houston has reminded me of this fabulous scene from The Court Jester. If Basil Rathbone's character reminds you of Count Rugen, I will not find it at all surprising.

6 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Satima Flavell said...

Sabre's fine but some think epée is a worry:-) When I was at NIDA, the fencing instructor, Owen Weingott, used to say "Well, there's foils and there's sabre in fencing, and then there's that game called epée...

Loved the vid-clip. Danny Kay was brilliant. Do you remember that ballet scene in Knock on Wood? One of the funniest things I've ever seen, but it doesn't seem to be available now.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

I am not familiar with that Knock on Wood scene -- time to go YouTubing!

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

One of the best sword fights ever..... :-)

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Houston Dunleavy said...

PS ballet secene is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iVU6cZvXbE

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Helen V. said...

I'm not a great fan of Kay but that scene is wonderful.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Satima Flavell said...

Thanks, Houston I"m off to see that scene!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home