5/03/2009

A review of "The Dancing Mice and the Giants of Flanders"

Yesterday, between getting OVtp started, cooking a really rather fabulous dinner, thinking hard about my YA novel (which I am about to take up again), and getting ready for a marathon homework-completing session (I'm currently on a start-your-own-business course, and the main, massive assignment is due tomorrow), I happened to stop by The Specusphere to check out their latest batch of reviews. As I'd suspected, there was a review of the Masques anthology, and my story "The Dancing Mice and the Giants of Flanders" got a favorable verdict:
Laura E Goodin’s The Dancing Mice and the Giants of Flanders is a cute, clever piece of neo-mythology constructed around the curious Flanders Giants. Goodin’s protagonists are quirky and poetic mice, pursuing partners and children before their short lives end. Whilst Goodin’s writing has some exceptional imagery and beauty, there is an abstractness at the core of the tale that detracts slightly from the impact. Overall, Goodin’s piece is accessible and emotionally intriguing, with a unique voice.
I'll take a review like this any day.

The whole anthology is reviewed, including stories by Cat Sparks and Richard Harland, both OVtp contributors and all-around cool people, and by Jason Fischer, who has been touted by many people whose job it is to know as Someone To Watch.

If you happen to stumble upon any other reviews of Masques, I'd be very interested and grateful if you could point me to them.

1 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

cute and clever with exceptional imagery and beauty

-there you have it. congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home