9/25/2008

Hampton Court Palace

Well, the maze was actually a bit anticlimactic. I was content to trail along behind Houston and Margaret, who solved it without a moment's hesitation or backtracking that I can recall.



But the audio tours through Hampton Court Palace itself (there are several tours; we did three of the four) were way fun and way cool! I was especially intrigued by the Tudor Kitchens one, but the Georgian private apartments were fascinating, and so were the Tudor state rooms. Here are some shots (sadly, you can't take photos in the Tudor areas):







One of the things I'm loving about England, and which I love every time I can manage to get here, is the connection with the humanity of the people I've read about all my life, people who changed the world. Henry VIII was one of the most marvellous, and horrible, human beings there has ever been — and, moreover, he was one born into a position of power and wealth. Scary. And fascinating.

1 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger Satima Flavell said...

Old Wolesly certainly built to impress:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home