5/11/2008

Mother's Day

Margaret wrote me a fabulous poem, very long, very clever, with an extremely demanding rhyming scheme. And she did the desktop publishing on it, printed it out, and bound with red ribbon — it looks stunning. And she gave me a beautiful turquoise-silk table runner, which I'm not going to use as a table runner; instead, I'm going to keep it safe and use it as a wall hanging when I finally get a studio/office/cabin in the mountains to write in. And Houston got us a turntable so we could finally listen to some old favorites again. And Margaret and I went on a trail ride together. And we (only not the horses) played a family game of Scrabble (you'd THINK, wouldn't you, you'd THINK they'd have let me win on Mother's Day; maybe it's just as well we didn't invite the horses over to play, how embarrassing would that have been, to be beaten at Scrabble by a horse?). And we all (except for the horses) had a nice dinner at our favorite Thai restaurant. So now I'm full of words, full of music, full of food, weary, and very touched and happy that my family cares about me.

In other news, am I the only one who finds the name of this cafe vaguely disturbing?

3 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger Among Amid While said...

Hey, you did good! I got a big hug from one boy and a promise of chocolate later in the week from the other. And no horses invited me to play Scrabble. Sux! Margo.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Be glad the horses didn't challenge you to a Scrabble match. They have trouble picking tiles out of the bag, so they usually gallop away in frustration before the game is through. When they're feeling particularly spiteful about their lack of opposable thumbs, they often go so far as to actually kick the board over, scattering tiles, racks, and all. Really, it's like playing with a three-year-old who hasn't had lunch yet. Sheesh!

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the time the horse ate the z tile and demanded the 10 points for it? That was an experience getting it back!
M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home