2/01/2008

WAFFLES!!

Tonight, in celebration of Margaret's homecoming from her school camp*, I made waffles with honey pecan sauce and whipped cream. YES, that was dinner, sue me. My POINT is that they were delicious, and that we continue to make good use of the waffle iron that our friends Carolyne and Paul (they of the cookie-cutter beneficence at Christmas) gave us a while back. I'm so full of delicious waffle-and-syrup-and-whipped-cream that I actually feel a tad uncomfortable. But it's a price I'm willing to pay.

*The first three days at her school were spent at this camp, where they got to know their new classmates and teachers, particularly since the kids come from grade schools spread across several hours' distance in three directions — the fourth direction being the ocean, which is not a conducive home environment for non-cetacean mammals; to be fair, very few cetaceans have shown up for the entrance exams for this school, so it works both ways. Maybe they have their own selective high schools.

3 Comments:

At 2:32 AM, Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

I want that recipe!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

The waffles are at http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes/light_crisp_waffles.aspx

The sauce is:
1 good, big handful of chopped pecans
1 lump of butter about the size of a pingpong ball
1/2 cup or so of brown sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 cup, maybe a cup and a half, I didn't measure, I just poured, of honey

Melt the butter over gentle heat. Add the brown sugar and stir a lot. Add the salt, pecans, and honey and stir a lot more. Spoon fairly sparingly over waffles, because it packs a wallop, carb-wise. Top with whipped cream (amount depends on the degree to which you occasionally throw caution to the winds).

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Thank you ma'am!

Yum!

I love the "ping-pong ball" measuring system. I cook the same way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home