8/21/2007

Tonight, we eat the king's venison!

I indulged myself this morning in going to the archery range. When I first started shooting, several years ago, I bought a really, really cheap sight for my bow. Bits of it kept falling off, and the screws that held it in position would loosen with each shot, until suddenly I was shooting passing birds because the pin had slipped down its guide. Phooey, thought I. I will take the sight off, and learn to shoot based on where the arrow is actually pointing. This is called "shooting barebow", and it's considered quite challenging. There's also more romance to it, as far as I'm concerned (and, perhaps, more honor...).

Now, I'm not a particularly good shot even with the sight, primarily because I don't get to the range very often at all. So I wasn't expecting to do all that well. Surprisingly, while I haven't been doing that great, I haven't been doing that badly, either. And some very kind, very experienced archers were there this morning as well, and gave me some great feedback. Suddenly, my barebow shooting was nearly as good as my sight-based shooting. How fun! (I must say, out of all the groups with which I've been associated over the years, and their name is Legion, for they are many, archers are consistently the nicest, as a group. Maybe it's because we all know we're complete dags, doing something as nerdy and daggy as archery.)

I love this simplified archery. It's fun to imagine I'm doing archery in the Days of Yore, like the kids in the Chronicles of Narnia. And who knows? I may get caught up in a time wave (anyone else ever read Parsifal Rides the Time Wave?) and have to use a bow for real. And there won't be any poncy sights in a low-technology medieval-based alternate world, I can tell you that.

In other time-travelling news, my friend Cathy has sent me something she picked up in Britain: a book titled "Time Lord in Training". Yes! With a cardboard sonic screwdriver and psychic-paper wallet you can punch out and put together! Does life get better than this? Thanks, Cath! If the Doctor stops by, I'll send him to bring you over to Thirroul for a cuppa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home