8/19/2007

Interesting technique for solving writing problems....

Houston had to head up to western Sydney tonight for a work-related thing (yes, if you're in the arts business, Saturday nights are business hours). So once Margaret got to bed, I sat here and played around with possibilities for the Horrible Penultimate Chapter.

Houston got home shortly before 2 a.m. He was startled to see me still awake. I looked up from the computer blearily. "I was pretending I was back at Clarion," I said. "And it worked."

Yes. Writing while sleep-deprived is the way to burst through the end-wall of a dead-end chapter. Now it can be told. I place this secret in the public domain, for the benefit of writers everywhere. Aren't I good?

5 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger Chard said...

It's a fairly well-known fact that that is also the most productive way to write code.

Or so I hear. :-}

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember Haydn once signed a symphony score "finished in my sleep"

houston

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chard: Considering some of the bugs I've come across over the years, I'd say that that is a very well-publsihed and wdely-disseminated rumour!

h

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Helen V. said...

So that's where I've been going wrong since I got back.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Switching from computer to note-pad seems to do much the same thing on my end.

Most of the theories I've heard suggest that lack of sleep, handwriting and other tactics are largely about getting that part of your brain that's stressing about making it good to shut up and focus on other things rather than yelling over the top of the part of your brain that actually writes the good bits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home