8/06/2006

Writing is a family affair (or is that just my family?).

I needed to write a fight scene into the play I'm working on. Ordinarily it would be left to the director to decide how a fight goes, but I need to be quite specific, as it reveals a few details about the characters involved.

Due to many years of indulging in my peculiar habit of martial arts, I can visualize a fight fairly well, but I just wanted to make doubly sure that a particular move would work. So I set Houston and Margaret up in a lovely tableau (she was throttling him), and I took my wooden sword to simulate a walking stick and used it to wedge the choke off Houston's neck. I was quite happy to see that it worked very effectively (details on request).

How nice to have such enthusiastic (not to mention corporeal) support from my husband and child in my literary endeavors!

2 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Chard said...

You wedged the choke? Or levered it? Or did you pry it?

I think I know what you're trying to say, but the editor in me is feeling picky.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

Picture the two arms outstretched. A stick (walking-stick size or so) is inserted more or less vertically between the arms. The stick wielder grasps the lower end of the stick and rotates it on an axis parallel to the line of the arms, pushing the near arm up and the far arm down, and essentially breaking the grip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home