7/18/2010

Libraries

I grew up in libraries. My first jobs were in libraries. I know, understand, and love libraries. My mom is a seriously cool and intimidatingly competent librarian, and she knows, understands, and loves them even more than I do.

Many are trying to claim that there is no place for libraries in the Age of the Internet. Fie, I cry. Those who truly know, understand, and love libraries have always known that books are not libraries' raison d'être. Have never been their raison d'être. The decline of the wood-pulp book in no way affects libraries' raison d'être.

LIBRARIES EXIST TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND.

Period.

And that's never going to be obsolete.

Even the Old Spice guy*, to the degree he can, agrees that libraries are important. (Although he does commit the sadly-too-frequent error of focusing on the books. What can you expect? He can't even find his shirt.)



*I truly hope this guy gets tons of lucrative gigs out of the Old Spice campaign. He's brilliant.

2 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger Helen V. said...

He is brilliant, isn't he. He's achieved just the right balance.

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Aidan said...

My mum was a librarian too.

She used to drive the library bus and deliver books to housebound people and nursing homes.

Have you seen the curious expedition collection of beautiful libraries?
http://curiousexpeditions.org/?p=78

 

Post a Comment

<< Home