3/24/2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

The second-hardest thing for me about writing seriously has been to find out what process, accoutrements, times of day, and mindsets work best for me — and even what "best" means. Higher wordcount? More hours in the chair? More pieces sold? Pieces I, myself, like better?

The first-hardest thing has been to have a little respect for what I find out. To stop feeling like a failure because I have lower wordcount or less time in the chair (or more, for that matter) than other people. (Even I recognize that obsessing over number of pieces sold and subjective feelings about the pieces is a minefield.) I write the way I write. Van Badham got me starting to think about this, and it all came to a point when my husband asked me what I'd been doing today.

"Cleaning, cooking," I said. "Trying to write."

I felt an almost physical yank on my psyche. No!

"No!" I echoed. "Not 'trying to write.' Writing. I've been writing."

What I've been doing has been real, valuable, respectable writing.

Resolution: I will no longer refer to what I do as "trying to write." It's writing.

1 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Carolyne said...

It reminds me of all those people who say... "I don't work - I'm an at-home mum/dad/parent" - who often are also writing/sewing/painting/creating/..... - WE should be strong in how we respond - it all matters A LOT - and they/we ARE WORKING!! Be strong - you are not "trying" you are doing!! ( and BTW most of my beginning writing or creating (which is not at your level I hasten to add!!) begins and is formulated whilst showering, cooking or strangely when house cleaning (my family sighs - Yes I am strange, and obviously don't feel that urge (to clean that is!) often enough...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home