2/12/2009

The Other Kind of Zombies

When my brother and I were extraordinarily little, one of the special treats was to get to sleep by myself in my mom's room, while she slept in the third bed in the room my brother and I shared (like I said, we were really little back then). One of the very, very, very best things about it was that my mom had a clock radio (AM only, of course; we're talking the early 60s here) that had a snooze setting, and she would set it to softly play top-40* to us as we would drift off to sleep.

Me, I was never much good at drifting off to sleep (something my daughter has inherited from me), so I was usually awake for the whole hour, listening to the best of the early 60s while the dials and clock face of the radio glowed a gentle orange. Here's one of the very first songs I remember, and I specifically remember it from those nighttime snooze settings, when I felt special and wakeful and gloriously alone to think my own thoughts.



*Holy crap, there's a whole site devoted to WABC Musicradio 77! I remember Cousin Brucie; do you??

3 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Satima Flavell said...

And you can find the lyrics at
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/americandreams/shesnotthere.htm

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Blair Goold said...

I do remember cousin Brucie as well as Dan Ingram. Do you remember when they would play a song twice in a row? I believe they called it "Instant Replay".

Also, I would wait hours just to hear the opening part of "Wipe Out".

Then there was the annoying commercial for Rraaacewaaayyy Park!!! in Englishtown, New Jersey.

The distinct sound of 77WABC still echoes in my mind years later.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

With that cackling little gnome! (How did I know it was a gnome, considering this was radio? I just KNEW.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home