6/21/2008

Latest dose of aht, dahling.

Tonight Margaret and I met up with our Script Frenzy buddies to see The Real Inspector Hound by Tom Stoppard. (I didn't link to the Wikipedia article about the play itself because it's heaving with spoilers and I don't recommend reading it unless you're already familiar with the play.) We both enjoyed it very much, particularly as it's absurd, and absurdity is intriguing. We also enjoyed hanging out with our buddies. (This may be the last time Margaret and I see Cass for a while, as she's going to be travelling around and then back to Canada, so we were happy to spend just that extra bit of time with her.)

I think we've ruined our chances of having a normal child -- how many 12-year-olds enjoy going to see Stoppard plays with their mom and their mom's writing buddies, after all? Margaret is quick to point out that she was never normal to begin with. I can only concur.

6 Comments:

At 2:35 AM, Blogger Chard said...

"Margaret is quick to point out that she was never normal to begin with."

And that's a good thing!

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Jean Prouvaire said...

Normal is over-rated. Though it can be useful.

Are you familiar with Stoppard's oeuvre? If so, where would you rank The Real Inspector Hound compared to his other works?

I've only seen a handful of his stuff, but have to say I like the Stoppard who plays with language and theatrical convention as he explores philosophical or political themes - that is, the Stoppard who is both fun and deep - a lot more than the one who is just and "merely" deep.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Laura E. Goodin said...

I'm familiar with R&G, and I've seen Arcadia -- not a very extensive track record, considering Stoppard is one of the Biggies. This was one reason I wanted to go see Inspector Hound. Of the three, Hound is definitely the most surreal, but I think I enjoyed R&G more for the language play. (I don't think it works as a movie, though.)

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, how many 12-year-olds declare that after school "I'm going to NIDA"? : )

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Rod said...

If the kids in our neighborhood are any indication of what normal kids should act like, Margaret is much better off being a bit outside the norm. Conversations with them make Margaret seem awfully advanced for her age which she undoubtedly is.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Thank God.

That's why I like living in the city. Everyone is weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home