5/25/2011

Towel Day AND Geek Pride Day

I'm not a particularly rabid fan of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I'm fan enough to enjoy the fact that it's Towel Day. Nothing wrong with being prepared and festive at the same time, I always say. (Not to mention that it's a gesture of appreciation for a fabulously imaginative and apparently very-nice-guy author who has brought joy to millions all over the known universe.)

I'm also intrigued to find out that there's such a thing as Geek Pride Day, and that it's also today. Someone (Wikipedia is less than clear on exactly who, surprise surprise) has come up with a Geek Manifesto, which I quote here as it is found on the Wikipedia page:
Rights:
  1. The right to be even geekier.
  2. The right to not leave your house.
  3. The right to not like football or any other sport.
  4. The right to associate with other nerds.
  5. The right to have few friends (or none at all).
  6. The right to have as many geeky friends as you want.
  7. The right to be out of style.
  8. The right to be overweight and near-sighted.
  9. The right to show off your geekiness.
  10. The right to take over the world.
Responsibilities:
  1. Be a geek, no matter what.
  2. Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
  3. If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
  4. To save and protect all geeky material.
  5. Do everything you can to show off geeky stuff as a "museum of geekiness."
  6. Don't be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
  7. Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
  8. Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
  9. Don’t waste your time on anything not related to geekdom.
  10. Try to take over the world!
Not sure I'm in complete solidarity with all of these: while trying to take over the world is a self-evident provision, trying to be nerdier than anyone else is a bit anti-geek, in my opinion. If you have to try to be a geek, you don't get it. However, as a whole, I think the document can stand as a beacon for us all.

Get your geek on, hoopy froods all! And don't forget your towel.

2 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger fullsoulahead.com said...

Don't be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.

I like this one.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous north face outlets said...

hello,friend. I was recommended by one of my relatives to check out your website. I like the design of the site especially. The article is very useful. Please keep on the good work. I surely will check out it oftenly and introduce it to my relative

 

Post a Comment

<< Home